An innovative and effective method for the treatment of METASTATIC PROSTATE CANCER
- an effective treatment for metastatic prostate cancer,
- used if other methods are ineffective or poorly tolerated by the patient.
- to reduce the size of the tumour,
- to slow down the growth of metastases,
- to relieve the patient of pain and other symptoms of the disease.
- patients feel much better in a relatively short time after the beginning of the treatment,
- good rates of efficacy and a high percentage of remissions.
HOW THE THERAPY WORKS?
Treatment sessions using 177 LuPSMA-I&T are conducted on an outpatient basis in the NMC.
The drug is administered intravenously and treatment on average consists of 3-6 cycles with an interval of 6-8 weeks.
- The process of the upcoming procedure will be explained to you.
- A catheter will be inserted into your arm to administer 177 Lu-PSMA-I&T intravenously.
- 30 minutes before administering 177 Lu-PSMA-I&T and up to 4 hours after this procedure, you will be offered to place cooling elements onto the salivary gland zone.
- 177 Lu-PSMA-I&T will be administered by slow injection over a prescribed period of time, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- The total time that you need to spend in the NMC on the day of the procedure will be approximately 6-8 hours.
- To verify the accumulation of 177 Lu-PSMA-I&T introduced in the target tissues (in the tumor foci) the next day after the treatment procedure, a scintigraphy examination will be conducted.
- Every 2-3 weeks (depending on the initial level), blood tests will be necessary up to 12 weeks after each treatment cycle.
- Determination of the level of PSA in accordance with the instructions by our doctor.
- Determination of indicators of the main functions of your kidneys and liver every 6-8 weeks.
- Physical examination before each treatment cycle.
- Scintigraphy on the day after each treatment cycle to assess the accumulation of radiopharmaceutical and the effectiveness of therapy.
- The duration of treatment will be determined in every individual specific case, taking into account the cumulative absorbed dose in the salivary glands and kidneys.
- According to recent research results, continuing treatment with 177Lu-PSMA-I&T can be applied up to 7 cycles without exceeding an acceptable level of toxicity.
- In most cases, intervals of 6 to 8 weeks between treatment cycles are enough to recover the hematopoietic system up to a sufficient level.
SIDE EFFECTS OF THE THERAPY
Most patients, who receive Lutetium 177-PSMA therapy, do not face serious side effects.
- Dryness of the mouth and/or eyes (up to 30% of cases).
- Nausea and vomiting (up to 10% of cases).
- Suppression of normal blood formation in metastatic bone lesions.
Patient road map
- records of medical history,
- general clinical and biochemical blood test (performed in the last 10 days),
- PSMA PET-CT examination results (not older than 2 months) that confirm accumulation of PSMA in tumor tissues.